Who can inspect used machinery?
Looking for reliable used equipment can be tricky. Therefore, you should take a close look at the condition of the used machine before buying it. If you do not know the seller, be especially careful.
Here are 7 things to look out for:
- Check the seller if you don’t know him. You can read more about this in the section below.
- Check the working hours of the machine. Does the general condition of the machine match with those hours (and the year of manufacture)? Can you get information about the machine’s history from the seller?
- Check the machine for signs of wear. Are the ROPS, the chassis, the boom/stick in good condition? Or are there signs of dents/bents, re-welded areas or small cracks? You don’t want to purchase something that will cause you costly and time-consuming problems later.
- What about the hydraulics? Are the hydraulic oil levels within the normal range? Or even too high? In this case, it makes sense to check for leaks.
- The tyres or the undercarriage are a big cost factor. Therefore, check the tyres or the drive components for remaining service life.
- Once you have checked all these points, the next step is the function test/test drive. Start the machine and check how it performs. Also listen for unusual noises and the exhaust fumes.
- If attachments are sold, also do a careful visual check.
Another important note
We want to remind you to be carefully when negotiating heavy equipment which is offered on the Internet. A few of those sites have just been created for fraud.
Be attentive if:
- Machine price is far lower than for comparable units
- The seller makes pressure to decide very quickly: He pretends other people are interested in the same machine.
- The seller has just a mobile phone number and no landline.
- The seller requests a down-payment to reserve the machine.
We are Mevas – die Heavy Equipment Inspectors
Hopefully our list has been helpful to you. If you are unsure about any of the points, just get in touch with us. This is our WhatsApp. We inspect machines like excavators, wheel loaders, dumpers, graders, rollers, material handlers and dozers every day and know these machines very well.